I completely dropped the ball this week. I think I needed to because, despite all my best intentions, I achieved nearly nothing involving writing this week.
When I was trying to think of what to write, my conscience and I had a little debate over things. True, this was my son’s week off from school for Winter Break. And yes, it did affect the dynamic in our house somewhat. And yes, this was also the week of dentist appointments, of social gatherings, of planning for events, of dealing with the home and extended family…
It wasn’t writing. And truthfully, none of that made me feel any desire to not write. I just didn’t, and there are no excuses, nor would I want to claim that the joyful home that I shared with my husband and son this week could ever have been the cause of my sloth. I was simply avoiding all the reality of the world in favor of a week of just being with them and savoring their presence.
I had a very strong need to do this beyond laziness.
So I’ll just tally what I did do and see what the result was…
Writing and Editing:
- 500 words a day on my WiPs –Nope, maybe 200 words of character development and world-building
- Typing 5 pages per week –Nope, no typing at all
- Edit 2 full pages a day – Managed three pages yesterday
- prepare and post one full blog post per week on each of my blogs –*snort!*
- finish my beta read and get notes out by Friday –Finished the beta read; fighting myself to send that email
- Managed to write my 750 words a day minimum
- #teamsprinty and #ROW80 word sprints at least 3 times a week –NO #teamsprinty time this week
- check new blog posts1 (one) day a week–Thou shalt not live on the computer! –managed this…spent most of the week offline
- stop Facebooking and other time killers after 1/2 hour once in morning; once at night –Again, didn’t spend a ton of time on Facebook or Twitter or Reddit; did spend all day Friday playing a video game
- exception– to return direct messages (I’ll still have email and Tweets on in the background) –with somewhat a delay, I did try to stay in contact
- Get out of the house and enjoy life! –DID this! Barring Friday and Saturday, it was NOT the week of being home (or near a computer)
- Keep dancing! — Some dancing, not as much as I should have liked
- Take pictures –I have a camera? (take that as a big “No“)
- Hug and savor my family… especially my family. –HUGE success here… After having been so sick and stressed out from all the things that needed being made up after being sick, and all the rest of Life(tm), it seemed the most important thing–being with my family.
Really, I have no regrets. It wasn’t a week of successes, but it was therapeutic on so many levels. I see no need to adjust my goals. Something triggered in the last few days, a sense perhaps that the time to get back to work had come, and I’ve found myself moving easily back into the pattern I’d set for myself. Like a thing whose time has come…