Your Book’s Page
Been thinking about this for some time now… Yes, I love books. Yes, I love authors, and supporting authors I know gives me the Happy Giddies.
I can’t bring myself to Like pages on a book by book basis. I won’t do it.
In my opinion, I’d be doing the author a disservice if I did. I almost never keep up with updates or promotions so I can’t share and pass the word along. My “Like” is a meaningless number in the corner of a place that is meant for social interaction.
Some might say that number means something in rankings, and maybe it does. But a book is a thing. And author is a person, and I want to know what the author is doing.
- Is s/he writing a new book?
- Doing a book tour for that novel I enjoyed?
- Did s/he make a new blog post?
- Post a cute kitteh pic on their page?
- Has celebrity become too much an s/he now intends to retire to a Tibetan monastery in obscurity?
If I “Like” a book’s page, then what happens when the author writes a new book? Will the author keep posting updates of interest on the page for the old book and the new book? Would fans of both pages get duplicate posts?
Sorry, but with all the amazing authors out there and all the great books written by each one… that’s just too much to keep track of. I have to make more choices, and some of those choices may seem harsh.
So, no, I don’t Like your book’s page.
Steady progress, though not a lot of progress. Here are my goals, with update notes:
- write every day; at the minimum, do 5 sentences not much writing except notes–I spent a few days doing a beta read
- finish a complete (rough) draft of Courting the Swan Song I‘m working on my fanfic at the moment; I need to renew my passion for writing
- make twice weekly blog posts (WIPpet Wednesdays and Some Thing 4 Sundays) on a consistent schedule check
- maintain active sponsor participation I still need to write my sponsor post; I’m caught up on other sponsor duties
- energize myself with more physical activity not as much as I should have, but at least I got more than I had expected
- reclaim my writing space no progress in the office, but four bags of donated clothes left the house
- go through some piece of my electronic home (desktop, laptop, server space, Dropbox, etc.) weekly progress involved cleaning out my email and some extra fan pages on Facebook I don’t keep up with enough to follow
- laugh more, hug my family more, share myself with friends more… a world of more not as much progress here; I think I needed a bit of space these past few days
That’s it for today. See you on Wednesday for a new WIPpet and ROW80 check-in. Until the, enjoy this kitteh!