Today’s Some Thing 4 Sunday comes to you courtesy of the Albany Symphony Orchestra led by David A. Miller, the Radio Filharmonisch Orkest led by Edward Gardner, and … the Letter R. Well, not exactly… R is for Maurice Ravel, one of my favorite composers.
Some rave about the Impressionists (such as Claude Monet, whose works are featured to the left) after a trip to a museum, completely forgetting (or worse being totally unaware) that Impressionism encompassed more than painting. The French movement inspired musical compositions and even literary works through the Dutch Tachtigers.
Last night, my husband and I were treated to a double dose of Ravel’s works as the Albany Symphony performed both the famous Boléro and the sublime “Mother Goose Suite”. As recording is forbidden in the theatre (and even were it not, the meager 4 minutes my camera can record could do no justice to the piece), let me offer this link to the Radio Philharmonic performing the work. It’s a wonderful orchestration… it just can’t compete with being there.
I hope you enjoy the piece as much as I did. If you are interested, two of our local radio stations (both with have internet broadcasting setup) will be playing the concert for listeners later in the month:
- WAMC (90.3 FM) at 8pm on February 26 (http://wamc.org/)
- WMHT (89.1 FM) at 6pm on March 16 (http://www.wmht.org/radio/)
And if you’d like to read some interesting pre-concert notes by a musician that performs with the Symphony on occasion, please check out this post by Dana Huyge. Yes, the piece by Crouse was as intense as it looks.
Some progress. Some inspiration. Just some…. joy:
- write every day; at the minimum, do 5 sentences everyday, although not always fiction
- finish a complete (rough) draft of Courting the Swan Song no progress since Wednesday
- make twice weekly blog posts (WIPpet Wednesdays and Some Thing 4 Sundays) on a consistent schedule check
- maintain active sponsor participation some progress on the sponsor post; the rest on track
- energize myself with more physical activity a full workout on Thursday and Friday, some exercise with husband and Boodle while the Boodle practiced his fencing and karate
- reclaim my writing space I’ve forgotten where my desk is…
- go through some piece of my electronic home (desktop, laptop, server space, Dropbox, etc.) nada
- laugh more, hug my family more, share myself with friends more… good stuff here; lots of good stuff here
- attend chats and sprints on Twitter (at least one of each) one #row80 sprint; I also made the last 10 minutes of the #StoryDam chat before the #k8chat (about Street Teams) came on; good stuff, but I had to leave the #k8chat early. Fortunately Kate Tilton posts a chat transcript on her website
Thank you, Letter R!
- Le Jour ni l’Heure 8643 : L’Été — vue prise d’une fenêtre de la maison de Maurice Ravel à Montfort-l’Amaury, pentes du château de Montfort, Yvelines, Île-de-France, samedi 18 août 2012, 16:24:22 (Photo credit: Renaud Camus)
- Impressionism (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- (Photo credit: duncan)