After skipping Sunday’s post (intentionally… see my ROW80 check-in for why), let me welcome you all back today for a different:
Today, as a break from the normal WIPpet , I decided against convoluted maths or short sentences out of context. Instead…
Amelia mentioned in her WIPpet interview about creating her own language for her stories. Not new news because we’d chatted a bit about it last year. But it did remind me that I have a bad habit in my WIPpets of using terms from the world of the Swan Song series (as well as my fan fictions and Release) as if everyone knew the world as well as I do.
So, to help make things as clear as sludge, here are five random words (and phrases) from my story worlds:
Calls (also called tianei)
— a physical/psychic connection between people; there are three main Calls the varia, talia and filia (body, soul, kin) and though most people believe they are divine gifts of guidance, some histories suggest they are remnants of spells that have passed from parent to child generation upon generation, effectively cursing young people to bad marriages, thus the adage “Calls draw together, but contracts bind.”
— a family of quasi-royalty in the Antia Vale; the name means “quick handed” and was taken on by the family intentionally to poke fun at the other High Houses who considered them to be upstarts and vagrants. It holds a second meaning for a few; a common threat in the Vale is “May the Hastor find you on a dark night.”
— a royal family in the Antia Vale; name means “Fair Winds lord” which probably comes from their history as rulers of the seacoast and the number of weather mages in their bloodline
K’via estau meil dorme
— a polite greeting from a minor to a lord wishing good health and the blessing of divinity on the receiver. Variations in phrasing depend of the speaker, receiver etc. The most polite form would be K’via meil estau spoken with gaze directed at the ground before one’s feet. In Courting, Alanii meets some distant cousins who greet him more casually despite the fact they are definitely not friends.
— actually a phrase in the “old language” of tinsii used as a curse meaning “blacksouled bastard (biological sense)bled out of a witch forbidden death”
Not much has changed since last week at about this time, Still, here’s the overview.
- write every day; at the minimum, do 5 sentences good progress here
- finish a complete (rough) draft of Courting the Swan Song whole new scene take developed and drafted
- make twice weekly blog posts (WIPpet Wednesdays and Some Thing 4 Sundays) I intentionally blew off Sunday; after reading all the amazing Beauty of a Woman Blogfest posts, commenting and even writing one of my own (plus plotting out a second for the #Girlboner thread), I felt burnt by blogging; I chose to let go for a few days–I gave myself permission to break a rule and just enjoy myself; it was wonderful
- maintain active sponsor participation behind one check-in
- energize myself with more physical activity was home and flumpy and feel flumpier now 😦
- reclaim my writing space tossed a bunch of old marked-up drafts
- go through some piece of my electronic home (desktop, laptop, server space, Dropbox, etc.) backsliding here; I even added a new (old) game
- laugh more, hug my family more, share myself with friends more… all’s well on the Westerlo front
- attend chats and sprints on Twitter (at least one of each) nope; I’m thinking of taking this back off the list; my head is the wrong place for a lot of online stuff now
- Random Words – 23 (Photo credit: pkdon50)
- 90/365 – Just feel better *EXPLORED!* (Photo credit: bp6316)