Doing a WIPpet this week almost didn’t happen. I didn’t realize what was wrong until reading Dawn Montgomery’s ROW80 sponsor post Monday. In fact, the post resonated so much with me, I reblogged it.
Slogging along editing my work hasn’t been working well. I want to spend time with the “fun characters”. While I like Alanii, I feel I know him too well. I really like ‘Listii , but he gets no face time in Courting. And even he doesn’t surprise me as much as I feel like I need now.
So, next week, since the ROW80 will be on break, I’m also going to take a week off of the WIPpet to just spend some time having fun without expectations of my characters. I can’t even promise I’ll write or work on anything writing related… thus no Work In Progress.
All that doesn’t mean I haven’t done anything since last week. Here are four small paragraphs from Courting the Swan Song ( 2-6 = 4).
The Semisnii was called to join him in the Laniini’s private study, a fact that Alanii appreciated greatly. It suggested less official sanction of their meeting. Or rather, a more official level to the meeting and a less personal one on his part.
Again, when he saw the woman, Alanii was reminded of his first impressions of her. Kiriina was incredibly lovely. It was enough to make him wonder how she’d been ignored for so long by the other houses for their sons. After all, her recent escapades proved her to be as much the proper House Lady as any other woman, and her appearance would have been a boon to nearly any man’s arm.
Even your own.
Alanii was beginning to hate his conscience. Why, he wondered, could he not bring himself to take the easy way out, the way that had been handed to him, the way that stood now before him with false demureness and gorgeous blond curls… Why, when all the world seemed set against his desire to make good on his words to Vissellii Marae, was he so determined to do so?
Tossing confetti (who doesn’t love confetti?) and cheering on our WIPpet Mistress of Ceremonies, KL Schwengel for directing the WIPpet linky each week. Come on and spend some time with us. We’re a fun bunch.
Welcome to the last check-in for Round 1 of 2014. Wow… is it really 2014? I could have sworn just a few years back we were partying like it was 1699. :-D
Well, let’s spruce things up with more than just check-in notes, but also a note or two on how things have changed since the beginning of the round. After all, the ROW80 is a challenge. It may be the “challenge that knows you have a life”, but having a life shouldn’t stop us from trying to improve ourselves as much as we can.
- write every day; at the minimum, do 5 sentences sentences written, but lacking the fiction element
- overall, I kept this goal on track; some weeks I missed a few days here and there, but yeah… on track
- finish a complete (rough) draft of Courting the Swan Song slow, slow progress
- not even close; I’ve been plodding along on with a pace that would make a tortoise giggle, but I did work on it
- make twice weekly blog posts (WIPpet Wednesdays and Some Thing 4 Sundays) on target
- this goal came out fine; some ST4S posts ended up being posted on Monday, but otherwise, all good
- maintain active sponsor participation doing good
- most sponsor tasks didn’t get done on “the day”, but everything has gotten done
- energize myself with more physical activity two workouts Monday, slow stretches and movement Tuesday
- seeing a steady improvement here; joining in the YMCA Fitness Challenge probably has helped
- reclaim my writing space haven’t touched
- very inconsistent progress here, one week on, one week off
- go through some piece of my electronic home (desktop, laptop, server space, Dropbox, etc.) email sorting, nothing more
- somewhat the same story, though usually the weeks alternated; clearly more consistency needed here
- laugh more, hug my family more, share myself with friends more… Boodle Time!!! (now I need Hubby Time)
- this goal has been a big time win all ROWnd, and life is so much better for it
- attend chats and sprints on Twitter (at least one of each) one sprint
- I added this goal mid-round because I’d noticed a lack of connection with my fellow writers; progress has been inconsistent here, but I’m glad I tried for it
In all, I would call this round more chaotic than consistent (and if you remember my original goal was to build consistency in my writing process. I don’t call it a loss, but I would like to continue to pursue a trend toward more regular writing (among my other goals).
Since this upcoming round will also include JuNoWriMo (which I will definitely be involved in) as well as one of the CampNaNoWriMo (which I may or may not be involved in), I don’t think I want to change the focus too much. My plate feels full enough for good emotional health. Better limit the number of snacks…