We so dearly needed the rain here… not the way California needs rain, but on a pretty drastic level for this time of the year. The change already is beautiful. Since last night the grass has greened up; the air feels more natural…
Now… it’s California’s turn.
It’s been a rocky couple of days, mostly emotional rocks, for me. I know I should be “beyond stupid kid crap” by now… I mean, I’m 45 years old! What should I care about teenagers howling out of a car? Thing is… it hurt, and it knocked me for more of a loop than I thought it would… as much because I was angry that it did still affect me.
Oh, yeah, context… Well, Friday, I took my bo staff with me when we went to my son’s school (I teach on Fridays, and since weapons class is Saturday mornings, I like to get at least one practice in during my freetime before classes). Normally I practice on the lawn, but I elected to use the parking lot as I was wearing sandals (love my Dr. Scholls) and a dress this week and didn’t want to stumble in the uneven grass.
Anyway… As I was doing my kata, some kids drove by and started laughing out the windows at me, then drove back to tell me how funny-looking I was…
It still sucks to even remember it. And… I don’t really know why, not anymore. I know my teacher was impressed by my staff-work yesterday in class. I know I am surrounded by supportive family members and classmates. And…. I doubt they could have done as well.
But it still hurts….
- Writing — a little slack… I did my OMW, and a lot of scene-planning for tomorrow’s start of JuNoWriMo
- Time with characters/storyworld — A bit every day… though some of involved daydreaming and not actual writing
- Pushups/general fitness — three full hour classes of karate and weapons work, plus yard work, some push-up training… my back kind of hurts now.
- Camera time daily — missed yesterday… and the Boodle is frustrated with me because I took an extra 20 minutes to get home after karate class on Friday to grab a sunset shot… But I need to get ready for this month’s First Friday Photo
- French and German daily 10 minutes — daily lessons/practice sessions… missed yesterday 😦
- MOOCs — nada 😦
I kind of flumped yesterday. After class I just wasn’t in the mood to deal with the world…. that’s why crap like what happened on Friday really bothers me. Because I know it’s not just me that gets torn down by such things. Yesterday, I flumped, and I snacked and… basically self-comforted, trying to lift my mood, when I shouldn’t have had to. And… I probably undid all the good of all that exercise by plowing through a whole bag of Utz Sour Cream & Onion potato chips, undid by a serious magnitude.
Anyway, pressing on… How about you go visit some other ROWers. I bet they need your cheering and support too. We’re all in this together in this Writing Life.