I know that’s not the way it’s supposed to go since I just finished a course on the 1916 Easter Rising in Ireland, but… I like my version better. Especially since this has been a pretty good day so far.
It’s a rainy day, but not one of those drown you in mud rains nor even one of those hovering drizzles that reach into every layer of clothing you own without offering the consolation of a solid dunking.
A real rain… just heavy enough to soak into the ground and nourish the roots, just heavy enough to hear plit-plattering on the window, just light enough to leave rain drops caressing petals and leaves…
A heavier rain than I remember from my days in England, but only by a small touch. It is certainly grayer here. I’d be curious to know why. Perhaps it’s because of our location on the Hardiness Zone scale… No—I just checked, and we’re actually 10° closer to the Equator here in Southern Albany Cty than we were in the UK.
Elevation does it again. Add on over 600 more feet, remove the effect of being surrounded by water… We’ve lived in this house for 15 years now, and I still find it remarkable that we can drive to Albany in 30 minutes, but it takes an extra week and a half minimum for plants to catch up with those in our NYS Capitol.
Hmm… well, that was definitely a line of non-sequitur.*
And so is this… now is time for:
General Assessment first… It’s been another damned awesome week. A few more migraines than I’d have preferred, and definitely with far more kitty panic than anyone needs… but in all other ways it has been a great week.
The question of whether it’s been awesome enough to inspire me to add on something new though? I’m still thinking “not yet”. This is why:
- Goal: working through three chapters weekly of James Scott Bell’s Plot & Structure (including exercises)
- Progress: still detoured, though Syd Field’s Screenplay is sitting untouched too; I’ve done other reading, but between my classwork and getting my wordcount in for the CampNaNoWriMo, I wasn’t doing diddly about this goal
- Goal: catching up in my local critique group (including submitting something this week)
- Progress: group
iswas on hold for the month of April, and I still haven’t submitted anything
- Goal: typing two pages a day of old notebooks in
- Progress: on track
- Goal: (VIG) Write new words daily! (the Five Sentences thingie)
- Progress: I thought I was getting All The Words, but yesterday I found proof. When I went to collate everything I’d written this month for my CampNaNo project (and this isn’t including words deleted because I was also editing work), I didn’t have to include any of the 37 handwritten pages I’d held in reserve. I’d set myself a 30K goal for this Camp, and cleared the month with a total of 46K. Am I ready for the 50K JuNoWriMo this year? Oh.. yeah!
Not Goals but Progress Anyway:
- Dropped the ball after 112 days of Duolingo last Sunday. I’m back up to seven days again, but it was hard to lose all that progress (and the bonuses that come with a long streak).
- Being school vacation, there was a lot of Boodle time this week. I admit–I glutted myself a bit. No regrets.
- This was also the week of missing cat, surprise dentist appointments, and curious financial errands (several visits to our insurance company for policy rewrites and adjustments). The good news? Mr. Kitty is home and sitting on the deck-rail all soggy and pitiful (on purpose, trust me… he could sit under the picnic table and stay dry, but it’s harder to watch for when I move from this chair and just might be heading to the door to feed him); no new cavities this time for me (the Boodle has the start of one on one of his permanent teeth); and in all this juggling, we’re finally not spending a month’s salary on insurance each year…
And lastly, I’m still flailing wildly on my goal to do something creative every day. Since that’s a new goal I’ve made absolutely no progress on in over two weeks now, I think I need to attend to making that work before I go further.
Still, there’s a lot of progress there, a lot of joy and some surprises…
As I said before, it’s been a pretty awesome week. Kind of like today and the rain (see? I did have a point hiding in there somewhere!)
* Anyone who has conversed with me over Starbucks’ drinks is all too familiar with the way my mind wanders aimlessly from thread to thread in this way. Hope you enjoyed the journey. 😀