I’m posting today to do my final check-in for the ROWnd, but I have very little to say of show beyond that. There are a lot of pictures on the camera(s—I used the iPhone as much or more than the Canon this week), but they need processing (pictures on the Canon are all in RAW form and need to be converted to something the web can use; the iPhone pictures are… questionable).
Remember way back when we were just happy to capture a picture that showed the moment? It didn’t always have to be framed right. Who cared if the colors were a bit off, over-exposed, etc?
I kind of miss those days.
Of course, when one considers some of my iPhone shots, that’s what one would think was the case.
So since this is about my ROW80 progress and assessment,
let’s do this:
- Goal (#1): working through three chapters weekly of James Scott Bell’s Plot & Structure (including exercises)
- Progress: not much; this past week was our anniversary week and I took some time off from goals; read some at the Writers in the Storm and Jami Gold’s neat set of posts on Unlikable Characters
- EoROWnd Thoughts: a “failure” but also a success— it encouraged regular exploration of writing-related things. Next ROWnd, will rewrite and adjust accordingly
- Goal: catching up in my local critique group (including submitting something this week)
- Progress: no change—I’ve done first reads on the two pieces I have to review and have a piece waiting for commentary in the queue
- EoROWnd Thoughts: the group pretty much dies down to a dull crawl during WriMo’s; will rewrite goal to reflect this
- Goal: typing two pages a day of old notebooks in
- Progress: so-so progress for this past week
- EoROWnd Thoughts: this goal has been wonderful for me—instead of filling notebook after notebook of pages that just sit in a stack beside my desk (or worse, scattered about the house), I am now making a second, electronic copy that can sit about the various computers in the house 😉 ; seriously though, just the act of typing these old thoughts and pieces in has provided so many story insights and new perspectives on old ideas. Definitely keeping this!
- Goal: (VIG) Write new words daily! (the Five Sentences thingie)
- Progress: a pretty dead week so far, but then I’d planned for this week to be off; I think it bothers me more because this slow week followed right on the heels of last week’s grim progress and emotional backlash.
- EoROWnd Thoughts: even though I know it’s good for my writer’s soul to write everyday, I still struggle with setting aside that emotional space to do some handwritten words; thing is, I also KNOW how much better I feel after doing it. Keeping this goal and amending it to note it as a handwriting piece as well.
- Added Goal: something creative every day
- Progress: not so good—have been feeling creatively drained
- EoROWnd Thoughts: I need to work on this; I feel better when I play with creative projects, but the key thing is to play. So having it as goal seems counter-intuitive, but if I don’t, I find myself falling into a slump of weeks and months of just ‘bleh!’ I don’t want that either; keeping this goal, but seeking a better balance
- Not a Goal but Progress Anyway: continued progress my languages (except Spanish and Russian… dropped the ball on these again)
- EoROWnd Thoughts: will be adding this as a goal next ROWnd, though without any Russian or Spanish; the language of the moment is Latin, which the Boodle and I are working on together in 5min bits daily. Just pronouncing the language has been fun for us
So here is my post, a bit late. Just wasn’t here on Wednesday. But Wednesday came with hibachi and an onion volcano, Thursday came with a cruise on Lake George, Friday was just us as a family time…so I’m totally unapologetic.
We won’t talk about Saturday.