Starting a new ROWnd always feels a bit… odd for me. Creating ‘rules of engagement’, even with Life itself, doesn’t mesh with the image I have of myself (flawed as it might be).
Good thing there is flexibility built in the ROW80 from beginning to end. I’m going to be changing things all over the map this month. I just feel it. My head is churning with ideas and possibilities all half-formed. I want to jot a few more ideas down and discover where they lead soon. Somewhere not so safe, I suspect, but definitely someplace that will allow me a chance for growth and discovery.
let’s do this:
A Round of Words in 80 Days, as the ROW80 is formally called, usually starts on a Monday with a post about one’s goals for the round and follows on Wednesday with a check-in. This post is both. It’s a bad habit I fell into early on in my ROW80 career. I don’t see myself breaking it anytime soon.
- WRITING & CRAFT
- Goal: spend ~three hours a week delving into writing craft related learning
- Progress: three posts equaling about an hour of time down: one by Jami Gold, a second very apropos one right now from Writers in the Storm and a third courtesy of fellow ROWer Mike Young from the MIT Technology Review
- Goal: Hand-write new words daily! (the Five Sentences thingie)
- Progresss: have written half a page for the past two days in two stories
- Goal: typing two pages a day of old notebooks into the computer
- Progress: inconsistent since ROWnd 2; but I’m getting back on track–I really like what this goal has done for my creativity
- Goal: maintain connection with local critique group and submit excerpts and critiques during NON-NaNoWriMo months
- Progress: The ROWnd just started, but we’ve been in CampNaNo since Friday; no submissions, but I will keep working on the two crits I have in my queue to return
- Goal: return to regular posting in the WIPpet and WeWriWa blog hops
- Progress: I fully intend to start small here; I’m on track for the WIPpet this week: Sunday, I will start by visiting some blogs in the WeWriWa hop, but not posting an excerpt yet. I feel better about giving attention before demanding some for my work
- Goal: sponsor duties for the ROW80 twice a week
- Progress: first check-in was yesterday, and I’m just posting my own goals and check-in… so, not too good so far
- Goal: Explore my creative side daily
- Progress: still fighting the emotional drain of the last month, but slowly ramping up; a lot of photography recently
- Goal: Daily languages (except Sundays)
- Progress: French, German on track, missed a day of Latin
- Goal: daily exercise amounting to a minimum of 30 minutes a day
- Progress: on track, save for Tuesday, where I squeaked out some movement while re-reading some old stories
- Temporary! Goal: write and submit my sponsor post
- Progress: have two (very) rough drafts that I want to explore further (the WitS post above I mentioned in my craft links defines my issue here all too well)
Lastly, because this round officially started on the 4th of July, which is our Independence Day in the US, I thought it only fair to share some fireworks with you all. These were actually taken on Saturday in the town of Waterford after their Steamboat Festival. We didn’t do our usual annual Windham Mountain excursion this year. A good thing too, as someone knocked down a telephone pole and we were still home and able to protect our computers by shutting them down properly (UPSs are wonderful things!). Then, we enjoyed a nighttime dip in the pool while the sky lit with fireworks from a few towns away.