Okay, so those of you who live more equatorial than I do might not find my distress at the weather the past few days too dramatic, but taking a truck to the garage when the thermometer on the dash (outside temp) said 104°F because the air conditioning didn’t work and the thermostat for the cooling system was stuck anyway…
I wasn’t the only one sweltering that time. My poor truck… 😦
There have been some excellent moments these past few days though. All is well, and too soon, the snows and ice will come, and I’ll be wishing I didn’t have to bundle up so much just to be comfortable.
Just can’t please me…. 😉
Row80 Check-in & Assessment
It hasn’t been the best week for actual goals, but sometimes things just happen. Some of this is an awareness that things that have been in transition are finding their base-points and having to figure out how to best incorporate the new changes for our family. Things are being done that have nothing to do with my ROW80 goals, but they need to be done. Little things like my homeschooling paperwork for the Boodle since our hopes of getting him back to Catholic school are on hold for a time…
At least the Boodle has found he can keep in touch with some of his friends from there with email and online gaming. And the occasional get-together is sweet too.
So, without further apologies…
- Goal: spend ~three hours a week delving into writing craft related learning
- Progress: still reading Steinbeck’s Journal of a Novel though I don’t think I reached exactly 3 hours this week.
- Goal: Hand-write new words daily! (the Five Sentences thingie)
- Progress: umm, yes, no, maybe… not really sure here. I wrote, but since it wasn’t daily, I guess I can’t call this a “check”
- Goal: typing two pages a day of old notebooks into the computer
- Progress: um, heck no
- Goal: maintain local critique group submission of excerpts and critiques during non-NaNoWriMo months
- Progress: no
- Goal: return to regular posting in the WIPpet and WeWriWa blog hops
- Progress: WIPpet–yes; WeWriWa–on hold till September since I’ll be out of town next week and cannot promise visits.
- Goal: sponsor duties for the ROW80 twice a week
- Progress: on track
- Goal: Explore my creative side daily
- Progress: not…well, maybe; I guess taking photographs counts
- Goal: Daily languages (except Sundays)
- Progress: on track
- Goal: daily exercise amounting to a minimum of 30 minutes a day
- Progress: easily (so nice to have something I’m doing well on here)
- Goal: Discover something “new” to me (this one is easy, but daunting too, since I have to resist the urge to follow these cow trails)
- Progress: A FB friend posted this link about a physicist and her choice of career change… and I found myself delightfully mired for several days, absorbing her career and choice: http://nautil.us/issue/38/noise/this-physics-pioneer-walked-away-from-it-all
To add to that last goal: I’ve spent discovering new things about my new phablet. So far I’ve learned I do not like the Duolingo app for Android (so very glad I kept my old iPhone4 around as my puttering device), that I am even more in love with the stylus and native handwriting tools than I’d ever expected, and the camera is frighteningly capable.
Handwriting on a phone is nothing like handwriting in a notebook mentally for me. There is a “processing difference” that happens when I see the text converted, when I know I need to be on guard for some of my quirky character names, etc.; I don’t create so much on the phone yet. Perhaps that’s something whose time will come eventually.
That’s Life though… a learning process.