So… not only is his post for the ROW80 challenge long due, but it’s totally not the kind of said post I intended to make when I started this round. I had this great vision of a regular table of what goals I reached that I could just click off, updating a single post throughout the round. It was going to be great; the first step in streamlining these blogs and making them into something closer to my original purpose: a place to showcase and share my inspirations and creative work.
The best laid plans….
Some of this failure comes out of dealing badly with emotional stress. A lot comes from a realization that I don’t “do” streamlined well (though I am working on that regularly). Some also comes from what I’ve come to realize is a bit of a (possibly hereditary) compulsion to help others … a compulsion to say “Yes, I can do some of that!” whenever I get involved with a group, attend a function… visit a friend (ask anyone who knows me, I have a fondness for hot soapy water and a dish sponge).
June might be a very interesting week for me. Not only will there be the annual JuNoWriMo sprints to host, my present management of the ROW80 website, but… I decided I would raise my hand at the meeting the South Jersey Writers last Thursday when a call went out for some new board members. 😅
So, this post, while being a ROW80 check-in, really isn’t much about the goals I set at the beginning of this Rounds of Words; it’s more of how I am going to be challenging (and have recently challenged) myself as a ROWer
I won’t change my plans for June and beyond. I love my writing groups. But I took steps to not sign up for more sprints than I could. I’m setting limits on the things I feel I am capable of taking on for the SJWriters, and I won’t be signing up for a lot of extra activities in June itself (except for possibly helping host a table at the Burlington County Fook Festival on the 4th). I will even be making my (recently more frequent) trips to Upstate NY to be with family); this past winter was one of too many reminders that those connections, even at their most solid, are prone to being severed by chance and bad luck.
Mostly I’m slowing down, despite my obsessive volunteerism (which, IS a family thing… as my father’s obit shows, and like him, my mom, my uncles and aunts, my grandparents…), giving what I can. My goals from the beginning of the Round? Now over halfway through Round 2, I’ve forgotten what they were. Moreover, I care not to look. I know I have been accomplishing things:
- Beta read two novels and sent back observations and notes to the authors
- have written (not a lot, but a few thousand words of new story for Courting, as well as many notes and plans for future scenes
- I’ve maintained the ROW80 blog
- I’ve helped Mom declutter, as well as begun a bit of a decluttering process for my own home
- I’ve developed something of a “green thumb” (pictures will be posted as part of my First Friday Photo June 3rd)
- I’ve been also making a point to be involved in more in-person interactions; I’m finding (despite my need to back away often and just watch from the sidelines) that just being around creative and energized people returned creativity and energy back to me twofold
- And… I even made cheese (though it didn’t quite come out as well as my first attempt)
So, no, not too worried about what those goals were. Note: I am not against goal setting; I just won’t punish myself for getting derailed or doing what I needed to get through the past 40 plus days. The ROW80 is the challenge that knows you have a life. after all
So, here’s a bit for the upcoming week:
- I’m gathering photos for the next First Friday Photo bloghop (feel free to join in); last month I was joined by two ISWG members who shared super-inspiring posts: Rebecca Douglass and Janet Alcorn)
- I’m preparing for the the next ISWG post on Wednesday the 7th (the monthly question is If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with?)
- Sunday I’m meeting with a fellow SJW board member for a cuppa and some brainstorming
- Tuesday will be my usual Philadelphia morning Shut Up & Write session at the Bourse Food Hall (this is usually where I get my ROW80 posts done)
- Thursday will be sprints for JuNoWriMo
Obviously this is just a bit of what will be happening. But it’s a good start, don’tcha think?